Thursday

Keeping it real

Although we are enjoying our new adventure there are a few things that are less than desired. I figured I should keep it real and document the good and the bad.

1.)  The Internet connection here is ok for surfing the web and Facebook. It's not fast by any means but it gets the job done. My biggest complaint is that there is no 3G anywhere on island meaning I can't go for a run and listen to slacker radio. Slacker does have the awesome option that allows you to cache content so you can listen to music without needing wifi. AWESOME!! However with that being said, our Internet here does not have the capacity to refresh my cached content. NOT SO AWESOME!! Running without music is lame!! 

2.) The options we have here for groceries, household needs, clothing, ect are slim pickins!! Our Nex and commissary are pretty small in comparison to those that I have seen else where. 

3.) Everything is expensive!! 

4.) The healthcare here is laughable to me. This could be because I have a background in the medical field and that I am extremely biased to my Dr and Nurse back home. I went into the hospital for an appointment the other day and had to wait an hour for test results that are normally readable in 3 minutes!! I had lab work done only to find out the blood has to be shipped out to Florida to be tested and results will take 3 weeks!! I think this has been by far the biggest culture shock to me. I knew coming here that they had the bare minimum level of care but I guess I hadn't fully grasped just how minimal it would be. Let's hope there is never a life or death emergency!! 

5.) Everything is slow, the speed limit is 25mph all over base. I have a feeling I am going to end up with a few run ins with the law!! I just don't have the patients to go slow!! I have places to be and things to do and I want to go fast!! :) good thing my husband is an MA!! We have been waiting on our HHG and POV to arrive and it seems like it is taking FOREVER!! Once it does arrive we will most likely have to wait 4 more days before it can be delivered!! 

6.) No cell phones, this one is on the bottom of the list because its not so bad I suppose. It just stinks that I can't call or text the hubby when he is on his way home from work to pick something up from the store or remind him to run and errand. It also stinks when you are out and about and are expecting a phone call. If you aren't home waiting for it then you will miss it. 

So really none of those are serious enough to make me hate living here. All of the good things makes up for the few not so awesome ones!! Never had I imagined these would be my biggest dislikes!! I thought for sure my list of not so great would look like this.

1.) huge spiders
2.)scorpions
3.) iguanas
4.) snakes
5.) any kind of bug

I has yet to see any kind of spider, scorpion, or snakes!! I would love to keep it that way!! The iguanas are ugly but they leave you alone for the most part. I almost died of a heart attack leaving the NEX the other day when I ran into GODZILLA sitting in the atrium begging for some guys to give him their lunch!!! He was the biggest nastiest thing I have ever seen!! Imagine a lizard as big as Dakota!!! 

2 comments:

Niki's Mama said...

It would be soooo awesome if we could do FaceTime !!! Dang Internet!!! And. ...... It should be free fir military to call home!!!!

Niki said...

I agree!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...